Hi it’s Patrik from intensivecareathome.com.au where we help long-term ventilated adults& children with Tracheostomy to improve their Quality of life and where we also help hospitals and Intensive Care Units to save money and resources, whilst providing Quality Care!
In last week’s blog I wrote about “How to provide more Privacy and Dignity for long-term ventilated Adults& Children with Tracheostomy” if you haven’t read the blog you can check it out here https://intensivecareathome.com/how-to-provide-more-privacy-and-dignity-for-long-term-ventilated-adults-children-with-tracheostomy/
In this week’s update I want to talk about “The 5 reasons why offering additional Intensive Home Care services are a massive advantage to Intensive Care, long-term ventilated Adults& Children and their Families!”
I am a strong believer in- and advocate of Home Care, irrespective of the speciality or the discipline within health care. Consumer centric home care models should be the norm in this day and age.
I also believe consumer centric means to bring health care to the health care recipient or consumer and that of course means to offer health care in somebody’s home. If we don’t offer health care outside of current clinical paradigms, we might miss the boat and health consumers, their Families and Hospitals in Australia miss out on developments that have been massively successful in other countries for more than a decade now!
On top of that there are 5 distinct reasons why even in a speciality area such as Intensive Care, Home Care for long-term ventilated Adults& Children with Tracheostomy is bringing massive advantages for all parties involved and create a win-win situation:
1. Improved Quality of Life and/or Quality of-end-of-life for Long-term ventilated Adults& Children with Tracheostomy
2. Peace of mind for long-term ventilated Adults& Children with Tracheostomy and their Families, because they know that they can be safely looked after in their own home, rather than in a sterile clinical environment
3. Peace of mind for Intensive Care Units and Hospitals, because they know that they don’t have to worry about their long-term ventilated Adults& Children with Tracheostomy occupying an expensive ICU bed and yet they still get the best possible care
4. An empty bed in Intensive Care that can be used for more acutely unwell Patients and admissions
5. A more cost and resource effective model of care that is also far more consumer centric and provides a win-win situation for all parties involved
Can you think of any other reasons why Intensive Home Care services are advantageous? Can you think of any reasons why they may not be advantageous? Leave your comments below.
If you are a health professional in Intensive Care and you think you know a long-term ventilated Adult or Child with Tracheostomy and their Family who would like to improve their Quality of Life and/or their Quality of end of Life in their own home rather than in Intensive Care- even if it is to go home for a weekend- and if your organisation would also like to save money and resources along the way or if you simply have any questions, give us a call on 03-9939 7456 or simply send me an email to pat[email protected]
This is Patrik Hutzel from intensivecareathome.com.au and I’ll see you again in another update next week.